Friday, October 9, 2009

Poverty Reflection

Poverty. If you could describe poverty in one word, what would it be? I'm still trying to decide. The definition in the Webster's dictionary is: "the condition of being poor." I disagree. I think poverty isn't about the person itself not being able to to afford the basic needs of life, it's also about the people around them not trying to help. Millions of people in Canada are living in poverty, people die everyday from poverty, only some make it through. Many people living in poverty are single mothers with children. I think this is where we need to step up. Everyone who is reading this has access to a computer. Is your computer in a sheltered place, or in the middle of a field? I think we all know the answer.

The other day I was standing on the sidewalk waiting for the bus. It was really cold and I couldn't wait to get on the heated bus. Then it crossed my mind that homeless people are experiencing the same weather, what do they have to look forward to? A brick wall to block the wind? Maybe a blanket? I didn't want to think about that, so I put the thought out of my mind. Now, sitting here writing this, I wonder how many people survived through the cold weather.

I don't understand poverty. Every person has his or her own story that no one knows. But, we need to take these people into consideration! Buy a person a sandwich, give them some lose change. Donate to organizations that help this. Would it kill us to help other people? If we don't, it could kill them.

1 comment:

  1. Cassie, your addition to the definition of poverty is quite insightful and a powerful thought for your readers. Your use of the definition in your introduction is an effective strategy. Try to think of an equally effective approach for you conclusion so that your reader is left with a powerful thought to take with them. Good first post.

    ReplyDelete