Wednesday, February 10, 2010

This is the life.

I take a step out the back door of my cottage onto the sliver filled wooden deck and breathe in the sticky, humid air. I hear the waves crashing against the rocks and the sun is set high ready to bronze people's skin. The people. Oh the people are spread out over the gritty, beige sand. My toes sink into it, as my hair gets blown to the side. Sweat trickling down my face as the temperature reaches its high. The only thing running through my mind is, this is the life.

This is the life. My life. I spend my whole summer repeating this every morning. My days consist of tennis at 11:15 am, lunch and then chilling on the beach til dinner. I know what you're thinking, tennis every morning at 11:15? Well yes, there is a tennis club at my cottage and this is where I made my life-long friends. We all have known each other since we were as young as 2 years old. We grew up together every summer. Of course I'm not hanging out with my brother though. He hangs out with the kids his age. Pretty much all the people my brother hangs out with are older brothers and sisters that I hang out with. It's like a big family.

At night you can see the reflection of the setting sun spread across the calm water. The giant Canadian flag is held high and gently ripples in the evening's breeze. That sand that was once blistering hot turns to a cool arrangement beneath my feet. The lighthouse stands tall as if it knows why its there. My body relaxes and my mind sets free. This is my home. Southampton is my home.

No comments:

Post a Comment